Saturday, May 8, 2010

I have a Disease...

... and it's called "Runners Anxiety." Did I make this up? Well, yes... but I have it!! I'm telling you people I get more anxiety about running than I do about my final exam in graduate school. Why all the drama, you ask? Me and my two cankle-possessed legs (please refer here if you are unfamiliar with the word cankle) will be running the Dam to Dam half-marathon on June 5th. Yup, 12.something miles. Me... and my cankles have been training for a few months now. According to my training schedule (which I borrowed from a 50-something overweight man who ran it last year) I should run 8 miles this weekend. 8 MILES! I ran 6 miles two weekends in a row, attempted 7 last weekend and FAILED! So... with the help from my med school boyfriend, I was diagnosed with a (made up) term... Runners Anxiety.

I dream about running. Seriously. I do. It's really annoying. And before almost every run I get this stomach ache... the kind of stomach ache you get when you're about to give a toast at a super big wedding, or right before going on a first date with the man of your dreams, or while you are waiting for the results of a pregnancy test... NOT WHEN YOU HAVE TO GO ON A RUN!!! It's just pathetic.

Although I may have Runners Anxiety, I always do follow through with my goal of the week. (aside from last weeks failing attempt to run 7 miles. However, I blame my ipod... long story) I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

8 miles. I can do this... TOMORROW. :) I'm getting Mexican food tonight instead. Stop judging me. I swear I'll run it tomorrow. Son of a buck.

3 comments:

  1. You need to CHILL! Also, how would YOU know what it's like to take a pregnancy test, hmmm?

    However I've sworn off running until finals are over because the one run I went on went absolutely terribly--as in I went like 2 miles and almost puked. So I think my stress level/nutrition needs to improve before I can take on running again. I'm going to try for every single day once finals are over and my life is more normal! So, you're still doing better than me! Love you!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so we're clear. I have never taken a pregnancy test, obviously. Trying to get a broad fan base here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did you run it? And I think runner's anxiety sounds like a real disease. you should have brad write a paper and get it published. He could end up on Dr. Oz.

    MkM

    ReplyDelete