Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The First World Problems Rap

Which I prefer to title the "lazy generation." This 17-year old kid captures exactly what I mean...

"The First World Problems" By Zach Katz

I hate to sound like a cranky old woman but I believe this teenage generation has been blessed with technology... Internet... lightening speed solutions to homework questions... zero tolerance for waiting on answers... I could go on and on.

Does this techno-generation have an unconscious... or conscious... entitlement to things previous generations had to work undoubtedly hard for? Prosperous jobs? Money? Success? I'm starting to think so. This nature of entitlement could have serious consequences in the future for both the generation as well as our society as a whole.

Will college enrollment rates decrease because kids think someone will soon discover the YouTube video's they have been creating for the last 4 years instead of studying for tests at school. Do they yearn to become instantly rich and famous with as little effort as possible? Will the rate of kids living with their parents after age 21 skyrocket because they can't tear themselves away from a video game? Will they give up on learning new things if they don't get a lightening speed solution or response?


Maybe I am a cranky old woman... but I think I have a point!

2 comments:

  1. I am a cranky old woman right with you, Mallory. I might show this youtube clip to my class and ask them what they think about how their generation is represented by this Zach Katz character. I think this will spark an interesting conversation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wound be really interesting. I would love to hear about their feedback if you decide to do it! Keep me updated! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete