Monday, August 2, 2010

Chicago Weekend

About mid-spring Brad and I decided we would take a little trip somewhere during the ONE WEEK of the entire year in which both of us had time off from school. So, of course, the end of July approaches quicker than expected and we're stuck looking at each other on the Thursday night before the Friday we planned to leave for our vacation.... and we still needed to decide where we were going to go, make reservations, and cash our checks from work ask our parents for money. I woke up Friday morning feeling certain our "vacation" would consist of a fancy dinner for two at the local McDonald's in Des Moines. I get a phone call 2:30pm Friday afternoon:

 "Mal, we're going to Chicago"
 "I already looked there and all the hotels are full" (due to some XXX convention!)
 "I've got it taken care of. Just go home and pack."
 "oook I'm scared."

To my hesitation, I packed anyway and we were off... to Chicago. 5 hours later we pulled up to the Hampton Inn and Suites downtown Chicago! Beautiful! Thank God for parents, credit cards, and Brad's creepy secret connection with travel coordinators!!! Here's some pics:

 Right outside our hotel & on our way to eat at Navy Pier

Navy Pier

 Navy Pier

 Me, Allison, Theresa



And we were luck enough to have my sister, Allison, as our waitress (please do not pay any attention to her t-shirt... she was very embarrassed that she had to wear it!) haha







One of my best friends from college, Theresa, made it out and her attendance made our night extremely entertaining!!


 

Of course we couldn't visit Chicago without attending attempting to attend a Cubs game. But by the time we got our late butts to the stadium the game was sold out. We went to a nearby bar with Allison, Joe (Allison's BF), and Matt (Brads bro) for some drinks... cheering on my favorite team (of the day). 

Go Cubs!


On Sunday I was craving the beach! But as we were on our way we noticed some very dark clouds. Yep. Of course. Rain. Thunder. Lightening. Did we turn around? Heck no! What's better than watching a crowd of people sprint to the nearest place with a roof? It was hilarious! People were so scared of being touched by rain you would have thought humans were allergic!


About 20 minutes later it cleared up and it remained an absolute GORGEOUS day!
Even Brads Bro, Matt, decided to join us!

And that's about it. If only I was able to take off work we could have stayed longer than 3 days. However, if we did that we'd either:
A) Have to open a new credit card 
B) Ask our parents for more money
C) sleep on the floor of one our siblings apartments. 

It's weird... when I was 15, I thought I would definitely NOT be living with my parents anymore and I would most certainly be able to afford a hotel room for more than 2 nights. That's life. Maybe next year... well, probably not. Maybe in two years when I've graduated making a bunch of money as a social worker. :) You never know!




No comments:

Post a Comment