Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Love your Social Worker!

March is SOCIAL WORK Month!
That's right... we have our own month! As a student currently earning my Masters in Social Work it felt absolutely necessary to share my beautiful, twisted, and very important profession with my beautiful, twisted, and very important readers.

Let me take this opportunity to enlighten you why the social work profession is not only important to me, but important to our kids, families, communities, states, nation, and general overall well-being of every single person in the world. Am I exaggerating? Perhaps.
There is even a "World Social Work Day"... which I just learned existed... and it was March 15th. Maybe next year I'll remember!

What is a social worker? 
A professional with a Bachelor's, Masters, or PhD in Social Work that promotes social change, problem solving in human relationships, and the empowerment and liberation of people to enhance well-being. 

Demographics?
-85% are female. 
-15% are males... who have higher salaries than females... WTF?!?!
-A Bachelors in Social Work (BSW) will earn you roughly $30,000. A Masters in Social Work (MSW) will earn you between $40,000-$60,000.  I hope that will be sufficient to pay off my loans I had to take out to earn this degree!!
-According to Bureau of Labor Statistics the employment of Social Workers is expected to grow faster than any other profession through 2016.

Clarifying Fact:
-A Social Worker does NOT have a degree in: sociology, psychology, anthropology, or human services. Although some states... cough, cough IOWA... may call their employee's social workers, when in fact, they are absolutely NOT.  

Social workers might appear frumpy or weird... which, sorry... sometimes we are (I say we loosely)... which some might argue is due to limited income but we are good-intentioned, caring, sensitive, empathetic, well-educated, and culturally competent group. There is one thing we are not, which is stupid. We spend more money on educating ourselves than we do in our first 5 years of pay. 


What convinced me to pursue this crazy-ass career? 
In high school I wrote a paper titled: "The purpose in life is to be happy." While researching and brainstorming for the paper I learned quickly that most people don't live in La La Land like I did when I was 16. I developed a deep passion to help others make their life better because I felt.. and still feel, everyone deserves the right to be happy. And I don't regret for one second that my entire professional career is dedicated toward working to make that happen!


Secondly, my mom, who is a social worker in the ICU at Methodist hospital. As you can imagine, the job is emotionally taxing but somehow she makes it appear effortless. I admire her because she has shown me the importance of helping others and the significant impact one person can make to help improve someones life. 

Have I convinced you to change your career to help others? Go to: http://www.beasocialworker.org/

Appreciate a social worker... tomorrow... as it is the last day of the month. 


"To understand the heart and mind of a person, look not at what he has already achieved, but at what he aspires to."
- Kahlil Gibra


2 comments:

  1. What an awesome post!! You are going to be a great social worker, and all the people who you help will not only be better off - they will be HAPPIER because your happiness is so contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, honey, I loved this post! It really should be on the NASW website. Being a social worker is great...well done!

    ReplyDelete